Thursday, December 22, 2011

Acceptance and Change

Autism warrior powerhouse LJ Goes posted something on Facebook that got me going this morning.  In part, she says....
"If ONE MORE PERSON...ONE MORE...tells me this Christmas, how I need to find THE BLESSING IN AUTISM I am going to say one of the following things: ...."

She goes on to list various things in life that are commonly seen as tragedies (cancer, car accidents, divorce, etc) and shows how ridiculous it would be to refer to those things as "blessings".

Her post evoked in me what is commonly known as the Serenity Prayer:
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
There are two somewhat militant subgroups existing today in the Autism community.  One group is for ACCEPTANCE of Autism as a "personality"...an argument for neurodiversity; in fact, many of the people in this subgroups are people who have Autism.  This group often takes offense to anyone trying to change Autistic symptoms or trying to cure it.  Many in this group are either higher functioning or have been diagnosed with Asperger's. 

The other group is known as the "Warriors".  This group consists of families who have been greatly affected by the health issues embedded within Autism and live their lives within protocols:  biomed, chelation, HBOT, etc.  This group strives to CHANGE their children's issues.  They also many times seek answers for WHY their children have these issues...many times arriving at the conclusion that modern society, with the Big Business-Pharmaceutical links, is the cause.

The difference between these two groups?  One ACCEPTS what (they think) they CANNOT change.  The other seeks to CHANGE the things (they think) they can. 

Before Summer 2011, I resided in the ACCEPTANCE group.  However, I wanted my son to be able to speak.  I wanted him to be able to do seemingly simple, physical things that other children younger than him could already do.  Was that asking too much?  For him to be able to ride a tricycle?  To cut with scissors? 

Once Nathan went through testing, a metamorphosis occurred.  There's NO WAY you can educate yourself with test results and then ignore what you've just learned.  NO WAY can you learn of your child's leaky gut, neuroexcitotoxicity, inflammation, and dysbiosis....and do nothing.  I became a member of the Warrior clan.

I am still a "baby" warrior, but a warrior, nonetheless.  It's not the life I set out for or chose.  I don't feel "blessed" to see my family have to go through this.  The fact is that our son has Autism...that much has been accepted.  But the fact that our son has all of the above conditions that exists in virtually ALL people with Autism who have been medically tested(TBA for those who have not yet been tested) CANNOT be accepted.  My son's issues must be addressed, as any kid's issues must.  To do any less would be sheer NEGLECT on my part as a parent.  Any other condition would warrant medical testing, so what is so different about this condition?...are the doctors really fearing what they (or the public) will find??

As for seeing the blessings in our circumstances, the only BLESSING I've seen has only occurred lately....that we've found ANSWERS for our son's issues, which are now being treated.

If you have a child or a person close to you who has Autism who has not been tested medically, it may be assumed that they are "healthy" and that they simply have Autism.  It's just the way things are, right?  I was one of those people.  Well, you've heard that quip about making assumptions?...I'm here to tell you it is 100% TRUE.

I WILL ACCEPT my son's current interests and needs to stim, run, and jump.
I WILL CHANGE my son's digestive issues, toxicity issues, and allergy issues with the use of supplements and protocols.

See?...I CAN do both. 

Most people can...they just need to accept the "WISDOM to know the difference".

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays....  

No comments:

Post a Comment